The faculty and staff of L.W. Higgins High School look forward to providing your son/daughter with a high quality education in a safe and orderly learning environment. Please be aware of the following changes which will occur during the 2017-2018 school year:
Dress Code Policy
- Only navy blue Dickie or Dickie like pants can be worn. This applies to both male and female students.
- Students are not allowed to wear the following:
- Ankle pants
- Plaid pants
- Cargo pants
- Pants with an elastic ankle
- Skinny leg pants
- Pants with cell phone pockets
- Pants must be worn at the waist and secured with a belt.
All students must wear the L.W. Higgins uniform shirt assigned to their grade level. Below is a list of the color assigned to each grade:
Freshmen (09th Graders)———-Khaki
Sophomores (10th Graders)——— Blue
Juniors (11th Graders)———White
Seniors (12th Graders)———Gold
Students may not change their assigned uniform color (shirts) at any time, and promotions will only be granted at the end of the school year.
- Hoodies/Pullovers/Jackets/Head Coverings
- Students will not be permitted to wear hoodies of any kind.
- No sweatshirts, sweaters, pullovers, or hoodies previously accepted will be permitted this school year. Only L.W. Higgins sweatshirts can be worn. Students may purchase their sweatshirt from the school.
- All jackets must have a zipper front. Zipper must run the entire length of the jacket.
- Female students must remove their night caps, bonnets, and hair scarfs before entering the campus.
- Boots can only be worn during designated “dress down” days. At no other time are students permitted to wear boots to school.
- Earbuds and headphones are not permitted on campus and will be confiscated if students are caught wearing them.
- We recommend that students refrain from bringing cellphones to school. The administrative staff will not be responsible for cellphones reported lost or stolen, and no searches will be conducted to locate lost cellphones. Please review the attached Jefferson Parish Public School System policy regarding cell phones on campus.
- Student Identification/Student Parking
- Students are required to wear a school I.D. when on campus. Students will be assessed a ten dollar fee for all new I.D.’s and five dollars for replacement identification cards.
- All students who drive to school must obtain a parking permit if parking on campus. The cost of the permit is ten dollars for one semester or twenty dollars for the school year. Students who are caught parking on campus without a permit will be assessed a five dollar fee.
- Suspended Students/Dismissal/Outside Food
- Students who are suspended from school may not enter the campus until they have completed their suspension and a conference has been held with a parent or guardian. If a student is suspended on the day of an extracurricular event, he or she may not participate in that event. In addition, all students who participate in extracurricular activities (i.e. dance team, flag team, football, etc.) cannot participate in a scheduled event if they are absent from school on the day of the event.
- Students who do not participate in extracurricular activities or after school tutoring must exit the campus immediately after dismissal.
- Students are not allowed to receive outside food from anyone. This includes food from fast food restaurants and suppers.
- A microwave will be available to students who bring their lunch in a microwaveable container.
Thanks for your continued support as we strive each day to provide your child with a competitive, world class education. If you have any questions, please contact an administrator at (504) 341-2273.