Although its physical plant was not completed until March 3, 1969, L. W. Higgins began its life as a proud Jefferson Parish Public School on August 28, 1968, with a population of 1,872 girls platooning on West Jefferson’s facility. In its early years, Higgins drew its population from the entire West Bank of Jefferson, reaching at one time a population of over 4,000, a figure which might well be a record for an all-girl, public high school.
Both 1974-75 and 1982-83 school years effected changes in the Higgins population. In 1974, the opening of John Ehret High School drew population from Gretna, parts of Harvey, and Marrero. In 1982, boys came to Higgins for the first time, and the boundaries changed again. Presently, Higgins serves between 1500 – 1600 boys and girls from Waggaman, Avondale, Bridge City, Westwego, and parts of Marrero.
L. W. Higgins was named in honor of Lemuel Wallace Higgins, a Superintendent of Jefferson Parish Schools for 24 years. Both of its founding administrators- Elaine Duvic, principal from 1968-1985 and Ruth Calzada, assistant principal from 1968-1984, established high standards for excellence in public education. Mrs. Duvic was followed by Herb Roach, principal from 1984-89; Ruth Autin from 1989-91; Joseph Fennidy became principal June 1991. In 1994, while Mr. Fennidy was on a sabbatical leave, Ms. Joyce Duncan served as principal for the 1994-95 school year. Mr. Fennidy returned in 1995-96 school year and retired at the end of the 1997-98 school year, after 33 years of service in the Jefferson Parish school system. Starting the 1998-99 school year, Mrs. Rita Foster became principal of L. W. Higgins High School. Taking us into the new millenium, Mrs. Kimberly Pazon became principal from 1999-2002. Mrs. Carolyn Van Norman served as principal from January 2003 to January 2006. Mrs. Germain Gilson served as principal from January 2006 to December 2008. In January 2009, Mr. David Lewis took over the reigns at L. W. Higgins and served through the 2014-1015 school year.